JOURNEY IN BEING
CHARTING THE JOURNEY
© ANIL MITRA 2012—2013
CHARTING THE JOURNEY
Material instrumental in development or that may benefit by addition of detail.
This document is a chart or blueprint for the journey. Its source document is Journey in Being.html.
The main content of this document is the same as that of the sections Charting the Journey—Dimensions, Charting of the Journey—Assessment of Progress, Charting the Journey—Wide Perspective Plan, Dedication and Affirmation, Future of the Narrative, and the later section Priorities for Realization and Sustenance.
The aim is to make the process dynamic. Therefore the order of the charting sections of the source document are altered as explained in following section ‘Structure of the document’.
The subsequent section ‘A dynamic process’ introduces and explains some further dynamic elements.
This document begins with action, i.e. with the Wide Perspective Plan, i.e. with the journey itself.
The plan has four phases. This document will begin with the present focus.
Since the ‘ideas’ are mature and implicitly define a program, the present focus is (1) Transformation. This focus will of course change with progress.
The change from logical order of the source to action orientation and temporal order is an element of dynamism that may also be deployed for items within the foci or phases. The present focus at any time may be supplemented by items from the detailed plans from the source document.
Transformation is followed by Priorities for Realization and Sustenance
Transformation is followed in natural order by (2) Civilization and (3) Artifact which are in turn followed by a return to (4) Ideas. This sequence is rough in that the actual process will be interactive among these elements.
The remaining contents are as in the source document above.
The process is made dynamic by (a) appropriate interactions among process and planning (including this chart and charting), (b) automation of these interactions—manual procedures and code, and (c) narrative reports of progress.
The interactions are, especially, (i) vertical interactions among plans and process and (ii) horizontal interactions between the prongs of process (iii) horizontal interactions between plan elements. Initial manual procedures are the import and interaction among the documents. Currently coding is implicit in the document linking in which update in the source results in update in the destination.
The material below starting with ‘Transformation’ is from Journey in Being.html which has parallel detailed content.
The order of execution is Ideas, Transformation, Civilization, and Artifact.
Since the ideas are mature the order in this document is Transformation, Civilization, Artifact, and (return to) Ideas.
Execution will, of course, be in parallel as needed and as the occasion arises.
Plans for transformation of individual Being are as follows (ideas are addressed in ‘Ideas’ below).
Transformation and action—report and record for immersion, sharing, and vertical (‘meta’) interaction between execution and program (design and planning).
(1) Approach. Ways, i.e. analysis and synthesis of Being… and implementation.
(2) Practice and action. Yoga, meditation in practice and in action and living.
(3) Place—a place of normal living, transient or stable, shall be a place conducive to truth and realization; it will be shared with others who share and support these aims… who share in the support of spirit.
(4) Immersion and experiment. Travel—culture, especially spiritual places-institutions-persons.
(5) Immersion and experiment. Nature as a gateway to insight and Universe (Beyul) and as place for physical being, immersion in Being—porosity and transience of boundaries, and experiment with self and catalysts.
(6) Method and review. Analysis and synthesis in light of experiment and learning.
(7) Closure. Adaptation to death—understanding it, its nature as horizon to this life, conditions and time for death, death as normal and real and gate to the ultimate, is a first task.
The following are in current priority order. Since the ideas are mature current focus is transformation. Civilization and artifact are aspects of transformation. I intend to return to ‘ideas’ at some time in the future and therefore these are currently placed last. However, the priorities may be taken up in any order and in parallel as needed or as the occasion arises.
1. Transformation. Immerse in nature as ground and for catalytic experiment. Travel for cultural immersion, spirit, and sharing (networking).
2. Civilization. Shared endeavor, immersion, use of means and learning from ‘transformation’. Establish a research community—‘Transcommunity.html’.
3. Artifact. Deployment of technology as independent, adjunct, and symbiotic in population of the Universe by Civilization. Artificial Being. Experiments with organisms. Shared endeavor; establish a research and transformation community—‘Transcommunity.html’.
4. Ideas—a return to ideas. (a) General exploration and foundation. (b) Development and application of the ideas so far. (c) Foundation for civilization and artifact.
Physical health and activity (exercise)—aerobic, strength, flexibility, coordination.
Network for sharing and support.
Plans for transformation of Civilization are as follows.
(1) Our civilization: dimensions including A Vision for our world; participation and immersion; and integration with transformation.
(2) Shared endeavor, research group—establish or join a research and transformation community (for a transformation community see TranscommunityDesign.html; for a preliminary TransCommunity design see the Excel Workbook Transcommunity.xls or its HTML version Transcommunity.html); publishing the developments; integration with artifact and technology.
(3) Civilization of the Universe: sharing a common endeavor (above); metaphysics; retreat and return.
(1) Use of technology in and for Civilization.
(2) Artificial Being—stand alone, design and evolution, symbiotic, and adjunct—build (hardware-software), experiment, learn; dynamic text—i.e. automation of text and ideas… and text that is interactive with ideas and life via computer implementation (software, intelligent editing, remote interaction).
(3) Experiments with organisms—especially the individual experimenting with him or herself—psycho-biology.
(4) Shared endeavor, research group—establish or join a research and transformation community (for a transformation community see TranscommunityDesign.html; for a preliminary TransCommunity design see the Excel Workbook Transcommunity.xls or its HTML version Transcommunity.html).
(1) Foundation and development of the metaphysics.
(2) Study of ways—tradition, analysis and synthesis of Being (which include experiment: ideas cannot be developed in isolation from action) with focus on catalysts of Being in interaction with emotion-cognition.
(3) Study of artificial Being—stand alone, evolutionary, and symbiotic; general study of technology for civilization (our world) and Civilization (population of the Universe); specific study of cognitive science, AI, A-Life: symbolic, computer implementation, and designs; reflection and research on the ‘computation’ model, its significance, enhancements (quantum, distributed), and alternatives; and study and development of dynamic text—automation of production, presentation, storage and representation of text and concepts, revision, and use of text—i.e. interaction of text and object or world.
(4) Theoretical and experimental study of transformations (experiments) with organisms, individuals, selves, and dissolution of self—psycho-biology.
(5) Application—i.e. interaction of the metaphysics with academic disciplines and human endeavor, especially metaphysical thought of the past—e.g. the thought of Leibniz and the speculative systems, Logic, mathematics, the sciences with focus on fundamental physics, physical cosmology, and evolutionary biology, and science and philosophy for (of) society.
(6) Analysis and synthesis of the realms harbored in the womb of Realism (Logic) as conceived in the narrative.
(7) Study of symbolic systems—language, logic, mathematics, and programming languages—with emphasis on application to one another (e.g., inflected languages and mathematical innovation) and mutual application with the Universal metaphysics and Logic.
(8) Special application of the fundamental principle (every Logical concept in referential form has reference) to symbolic systems, e.g. set theory. What does it imply for foundations of general (not point) set theory that set theory must have an object or objects in the one limitless Universe?
While the foregoing are of interest in the universal metaphysics and its application and implication the following are foundation for further study.
(9) The system of human knowledge as system and in its categories. For interaction with the metaphysics. See System of human knowledge.
(10) Meta-study, i.e. review of all aspects of the process, especially analysis and synthesis of ideas and Being—including formulation in these terms. This ‘study’ will include review of plans and the planning process (in light of the metaphysics and the nature and structures of the journey). Such study is implicit in the previous items but deserves separate mention.
Transformation and action—report and record for immersion, sharing, and vertical (‘meta’) interaction between execution and program (design and planning). Details appear under transformation above.
Defining the dimensions is simple—focus will be on the elements of Being laid out earlier which emphasize vehicles (individual Being and civilization) and modes (ideas and action) of transformation. Transformation will emphasize Being itself and an instrumental approach. The instrumental approach—artifact, especially technology—requires cooperation and is therefore placed under discussion of civilization.
The process is informed by and informs Method (which includes Analysis and Synthesis of Being). Reflection on the elements of the journey-in-process is more important than having a checklist of elements.
This section reviews the main dimensions of a journey. The next section Assessment of Progress states and assesses progress so far. The dimensions and assessment ground the plans in the section Wide Perspective Plan. The narrative then continues (in the Complete Edition) with a detailed program in the sections The Individual in Community and the World and Civilization of the Universe: Being, Artifact, and Technology.
A Universal Journey of Realization—though personal in its beginning, the journey—this journey—aims at shared realization of and contribution to a ‘universal journey in being’. This section is a brief account of this journey in process.
Ideas—ideas are never complete; a text can always be improved; planning is part of ideas and ideation. However, in this narrative relative maturity of ideas is manifest. Further, since ideas are innately incomplete modes of Being, focus must now turn to transformation.
Transformation of Being focuses on Individual Being as such and in relation to community and civilization—ideas are an incomplete part of transformation. Essential transformation is in-process and at an early stage in comparison to the ideas. However, we shall recall that ‘In the life of the spirit, we are always at the beginning.’
Civilization and Being—focuses on human civilization and on Civilization of the Universe… Involvement, which begins with this work and its motives, is defined by ideas, personal action, sharing, and as a program above and in what follows.
Artifact and technology—a secondary focus will be on use and development of technologies appropriate to (a) transformation of Being and (b) civilization of the Universe.
Ideas—as noted, relative maturity of ideas has been achieved. Two aspects maturity are (1) As developed the ideas are innately reflexive—i.e. they include self-assessment (2) This self-assessment shows completeness of foundation and breadth.
Transformation—since transformation is in-process it will be useful to assess work so far. Assessment of progress may identify successful directions of transformation and therefore suggest areas of activity; and it may help clarify what has worked so far and so help hone principles of action. Here is a brief assessment of ‘work’ so far (a) Discovery and development of a dynamic of transformation (the framework of the metaphysics) (b) Yoga in action, self transformation, self healing, and focus (c) Nature as inspiration for understanding and transformation of self (therefore of community)—‘Beyul’ (Tibetan for secret or hidden land) as map of Being.
Civilization—significant of background work has been done in developing the concept of Civilization, in investigating social sciences, and on the nature of science and implications for social science and their use. The progress regarding transformation has origin in and has been informally implemented in small scale group settings. Some details of study and progress are given in this document, especially Civilization and Transformation, and in the document Journey in being-detail.html). The next section Charting the Journey—Wide Perspective Plan maps for large scale sharing and implementation for civilization.
Artifact and technology—disciplines of interest are social science, history, cosmology, and cognitive science; my preparatory reading, study, and reflection in these disciplines has been broad. have been broad. I anticipate that my experience in design, computation, and programming will be useful in design of artifactual Being (e.g. artificial intelligence). The next section Charting the Journey—Wide Perspective Plan maps implementation for artifact and technology.
‘I dedicate my life to The Way of
Adapted from the AA 3rd step prayer.
The main elements for the future are (a) Sharing the narrative is essential to sharing the journey—the journey and narrative shall be open; the sharing will be with individuals and groups in the context of civilization (b) Reports on progress in transformation, ideas, and goals (plans).